Friday, February 12, 2016

What Do You Do When Your Aging Parents Need Help

Becoming A Caregiver

"In this life we cannot do great things.
 We can only do small things with great love."

When I began my journey taking care of my parents so many people kept asking me how I could do such a thing, that they would never be able to do that. Because when parents get old and can't take care of themselves there are nursing homes for that. For me that was not not is it an option for me. To me they are my family and family takes care of their own. The deeper explanation is, they did it for me. From the time I was born my parents have been there caring for me. THEY changed my diapers. THEY fed me. THEY dressed me. THEY bathed me. I spit up and threw up on THEM. I bled on THEM. When I cried THEY comforted me. THEY taught me and they encouraged me. Supported me and loved me.

Today my mom has dementia and macular degeneration has taken away her sight. She needs care 24/7 and I am the sole caregiver.

 So now it is my turn and to reciprocate when it's their time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment